Sunday 2 March 2014

Ash Wednesday 5th March

First, please read the Page marked Lent 2014
 “St Francis Rejecting the World and Embracing Christ”.
 It is by Bartolomé Esteban Murillo
 (1617 to 1682) who was a Spanish Baroque painter. 
The original is in Hamburger Kunsthalle, Hamburg, Germany.
Psalm I

1.                 God, I have declared my life to you, and you have placed my tears where you can see them; all my enemies were plotting against me - they consorted together to make their plans.
2.                 They put evil against me in your place, and returned me hatred for my love.

Comment
The psalmist speaks of confusion and distress.  They appeal to God, reminding God of their promise of fidelity.  The psalmist is seeking some understanding of what seems senseless and without cause.

Reflection:
Did you make, or have you made, such an appeal when you were in similar circumstances? Or did you rather rely on your own methods to understand the situation?  Which one brought you more peace?

No comments: